Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Faith Driven

Thursday, Nov. 20th my husband lost his job. Wow! What a blow in light of how I avoided thinking about the economy. Now I was faced with it on a personal level. Not only did he face not having a paycheck until he found another job, that following Monday his car wouldn't start. With perseverance though he walked several miles to get a car part, only to find it wasn't the one needed. The next day, prepared for interviews and wearing dress shoes, he walked several miles again to fill out job applications. He did this every day, walking between finding car parts and trying to find a job. Finally, this past weekend he did get his car fixed.

The Bible speaks of those who had perseverance. It was driven by faith, sometimes not seeing the end result, but trusting God for it.

Hebrews 10: v. 36 NIV
"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised."

Chapter 11 of Hebrews gives a long list of those who persevered through faith.

Hebrews 11: v. 7,8
7. By faith Noah, when warned about things, not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. 8. By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

I admit I don't have the perseverance that some have. I don't think I'd be able or willing to walk miles as my husband did. This may be because it wasn't God's plan for me. He knows each individual and their abilities. I believe God will give us the faith, energy, courage or whatever it takes for the task at hand and at the time it's needed.

If our pursuit toward a goal, job, etc. is filled with struggles and empty gaps of energy, desire or faith, perhaps we're pursuing a path that isn't God's will. Our perseverance needs to be driven by faith-when we hear God's call. Remember, Abraham responded "when called" and Noah responded "when warned." Sometimes we're not listening.

"Listen ever so quietly." What has God put within your heart to pursue? It's something, perhaps just an idea or a dream, but it's followed by faith. Unlike desires that are worked up by human effort, fizzle out and leave us disappointed, it will be one that is God given and God driven.

My husband is still pursuing a job and we're praying God will direct him to the right one. I'm learning to stop and listen for God's voice in my life. It's a walk by faith that only God can give.

Hebrews 11: v. 1 NIV
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

5 comments:

Edie said...

This is an awesome post Marie. I am so there with you. For several years I had prayed that God would allow me to stay home (or work from home). In January of this year God told me to quit my job of 11 years. Nothing else lined up, just that it was time and it was His perfect timing. I am single and do not have another source of income. I have worked since I was 15 and am a very responsible person. I stepped off the cliff and trusted that God's hand would be there. He has provided for all of my needs as He promises.

Many times I have asked Him if I was acting irresponsibly because I have not gone out to "find a job" but I don't feel that I am supposed to. So I love what you say here.
"If our pursuit toward a goal, job, etc. is filled with struggles and empty gaps of energy, desire or faith, perhaps we're pursuing a path that isn't God's will."

He will arranged the circumstances. I need to trust, listen, and obey. I will pray that He will lead you're husband to the job He has chosen. :)

Mary Moss said...

Marie, this is a powerful post. Once again, I am astounded by the depth of your faith! You and your husband have been in my prayers and I will continue to lift you up as you follow the path God has laid out for you.

Thank you for renewing my faith this morning.

Andrea said...

Marie,
Awesome post. My husband lost his job Nov. 17th, too. It's easy to tell someone to walk by faith, however, much more powerful to live it by example. Praise GOD for both of your examples to all of us.
I have also put your blog on my blog. I am still writing in Sitka's voice at http://andrealuvsallgodscreatures.blogspot.com
Praying for you......andrea

Kelly said...

Maria - hoping your hubby will finda job soon. Missed seeing you today.

Edie said...

Hi Marie! I just revisited this post and I'm sure it was arranged by God. I was asking Him questions about my path today as my faith was weak. So I thank you again.

Has your husband found a job yet? I hope all is well.