Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Knowing Your Neighbors

   In Matthew 22:39 Jesus says, "...Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." How do you love your neighbors if you don't know your neighbors?
   This popped in my thoughts after a daily walk this past week; but it really started the night before when I noticed a Rescue Squad several doors down from where I live. I found myself concerned about my neighbor; a neighbor with no name. And that's where the problem comes in. They've lived there for years. Yes, I've said "hi" or waved if I happen to have passed by. Somehow I don't think that's enough.
   So, I'm doing my morning walk and I noticed a woman standing on the front porch of the same house where the flashing lights and EMTs had been the night before. I didn't want to seem like I was being nosey but I asked if everything was ok explaining my concern.
   She seemed relieved to be able to talk, opened up about her health issues and what had happened. She had been able to return home from the hospital and now was waiting for her sister to pick her up for a doctor's appointment.
   We talked for about twenty minutes, each exchanging information about ourselves; me trying to encourage her through God's word. She then asked what church I went to and told me which church she "use to" go to. Before it was over I had her name, needs and told her I'd pray for her.
   Wow! A connection made all because I reached out with care and concern. This wasn't the first time God had introduced me to a neighbor.
   A few weeks back a young woman was walking past my house, saw me near my car and asked if I was going up the road. I wasn't planning on going anywhere but I asked her why. She said she didn't have a car and was wondering if I'd give her a ride to the pharmacy; quite a way if you're walking. Of course I did, also gathering information as we talked. She lived on the street behind mine.
   I wondered if the Lord was trying to tell me something? I didn't have to wonder, I knew. If I am to love my neighbors I need to know my neighbors. What are their pray needs or is there another need they have that God can use me to fill?
   As I realized my concern for others is starting to grow, I suddenly remember the prayer I'd lifted up to the Lord the last few weeks. "Lord, give me a burden to care for others." He's doing exactly what I asked for, starting with my neighbors.

Galatians 6:2 KJV
2"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ."

Romans 15:2 NKJV
2"Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification."
 

No comments: