Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Heart of Understanding

After I'd set up my blog, I had thought of changing the name from, "If Your Heart Could Write" to "If My Heart Could Write." I realized though that God had a purpose in the name. It wasn't about me, but the hearts of those it was meant to touch and communicate His message to.

1st Samuel 16: v.7 NIV
...."The Lord does not look at the things man looks at...but the Lord looks at the heart."

When our need to be understood is lost on those around us who only see on the surface, sometimes feelings get hurt. Just yesterday a co-worker blamed me for a situation that was beyond my control. The statement made was very offensive and almost instantly I started to recoil. To say the least I chewed on the bit awhile.

James 1: v. 19-20 NIV
...."Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

If I'd said what came to mind,(be slow to speak), in response to my anger,(be slow to anger), I would have missed(be quick to listen), what God wanted me to hear. He allowed me to see beyond the surface of her anger to her heart. Her outburst was a result of her pain to a situation also beyond her control.

Does God discount my hurt and my anger? He most definitely does not. I have a High Priest, Jesus Christ, who understands.

Hebrews 4: v. 15 NIV
"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin."

Does He leave me alone in my situation without an answer or a solution? He provides a way.

Hebrews 4: v. 6 NIV
"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and grace to help us in time of need."

In leaving "self" at the "throne of grace" may our actions, not re-actions, bring about "the righteous life that God desires." James 1: v. 20

In so doing we may well lead someone in need to Jesus, the Great High Priest of understanding.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Marie! Welcome to the world of blogging! I hope you will be blessed like it, as I have been. Once you visit a few blogs and leave comments, they'll come back and visit you, and before you know it, you have a following!

See you tomorrow at church!

Edie said...

Just before I stepped into your comment section I was thinking of what I would say and came up with "Hi Marie! Welcome to the world of blogging!" LOL. Had to laugh when I saw the exact same words from CK. Everything she said is SO true but I noticed that she left out the part about becoming addicted. LOL.

Honestly I have found God moving through this wonderful little Christian blogging community I have found and CK has been one of the blessings!

This is a great post. I have to admit that I still have to work hard on that "slow to speak" part. By the grace of God, one day I will get it! Just keep practicing! That's what I tell my grandaughters whenever something is hard.

It's nice to meet you Marie. CK mentioned that you liked her blog makeover. I have to thank you for the compliment. I had a great time designing it for her. Let me know if I can do anything for you in the future. In the meantime, feel free to stop by my Graphics & Design blog and pick up a free Scripture Tag for your sidebar and don't hesitate to leave comments about what you would like to see in there.

Ok, I've rambeled(sp?) on long enough. (slow to speak, slow to speak) Nice to *meet* you! :D