Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Opportunities Are Blessings

   Opportunities. The definition defines it as a "set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something." Sometimes it means an open door such as Paul described in 1st Corinthians 16:9..."For a great and effective door has opened to me..." It was an opened door to preach the gospel of Christ.
   I have been praying a lot about seeing the opportunities that God puts in front of me. I don't want to miss any of them and because of those prayers I have seen so many doors opened to be a witness for Christ in some way. I have learned by now though that if I ask, He will answer and I have to be willing to step into the moment.
   Years ago I was coming out the bathroom at the State Fair when I noticed the attendant (at that time they had one in each) sitting and reading her Bible. I stopped and inquired which passages she was studying. She said the Book of Job but she was very confused about why Job was going through so much and didn't understand the purpose behind it.
   Opportunity! I spent at least twenty minutes going over those scriptures with her. It wasn't that I was such a Bible scholar but that God had recently given me more understanding of that same chapter some months earlier. God used a blessing to me to pass on to someone else. She was delighted.
   Sometimes we are on the receiving end of those opportunities. Once I had been clowning at a birthday party at Children's Hospital. I'd stopped by Golden Skillet on the way home to get something for supper. I knew I'd be too tired to cook plus I had all this clown makeup to scrub off. Of course a clown always stirs up a conversation so as I waited for my order I answered inquisitive questions. It has always amazed me how adults get just as tickled at seeing a clown as much as children do, sometimes more.
   My number was called and as I stepped up to pay for it, the cashier said, "Your order has already been paid for." Someone ahead of me had taken the opportunity to bless me. I had no idea who might have done this. They didn't require recognition or praise but had quietly left the scene.
   Conversations also are opportunities that can be used to witness. When you genuinely show interest in someone's story you find out so much about them in just a few short minutes. I've often discovered that they will open up if your words are filled with grace and love. They have often opened up about family situations, having cancer or struggles they face. I will politely ask for their names and if they would like for me to pray for them. You never know how you may change someone's day or outlook.
   How many open doors or opportunities have we stepped into to be a blessing to others? How many have we missed? I know that if we ask the Lord to show us these opportunities He will also give us the courage and strength to carry them through. Let us also remember these blessings don't require paybacks for they are freely given and should also be freely received.

Matthew 10: v.8 NKJV
"...Freely you have received, freely give."
Galatians 6:10 NKJV
"Therefore as we have opportunity, let us do good to all,..."

No comments: